Wednesday, 10 May 2017

Asparagus in the Style of Peas

There are definitely threads of ideas that lead me from one recipe to another. This one is basically the same sauce as I used for chicken a few days back, but this time it is used on asparagus. The good news - no chervil. I do like this technique for making a sauce, although it is rich, no question.

I based this dish on the recipe I found here; Asparagus Disguised as Peas. I've simplified it a bit. In particular I adapted it to be made in one pot. I also thought the amount of liquid was too low to cook the asparagus but my sauce was a bit too thin, so I am calling for more like the original amount. Nobody really minded it being thin though, and if you serve it with something to soak it up it will especially not be minded. I can see this being served over toast, for instance. If there are enough leftovers, I would suggest running them through a food processor and serving them as soup. Not likely though.

4 servings
15 minutes prep time


2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon rubbed savory
1/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 large egg yolks
1/4 cup 10% cream
450 grams (1 pound) skinny asparagus
2/3 cup water or chicken stock 
1 green onion
2 sprigs parsley
1 bay leaf

Cream the butter, flour, savory, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.

Whisk the egg yolks and cream together in a another small bowl. Set aside.

Wash and trim the asparagus, and cut it it into pieces about as long as the stalks are wide (short, in other words).

Bring 2/3 cup of water or chicken stock to a boil with the washed and trimmed green onion, parsley, and bay leaf in it. Add the asparagus and cook until just tender; about 4 minutes.

Lift the asparagus out to a serving dish with a slotted spoon. Remove and discard the onion, parsley, and bay leaf.

Mix a spoonful of the cooking liquid (stock) into the bowl of butter, flour, etc to form a smooth paste. Then mix it all into the cooking water, stirring constantly until it thickens. Whisk in the egg yolks and cream. Continue cooking and whisking until the mixture thickens; don't let it boil though. When it thickens add the asparagus back in, and mix in well. Bring back up to steaming hot, and serve.




Last year at this time I made Rhubarb Chutney.

No comments: